TD Cash Back Visa Infinite* Card Review
Earn 6% Cash Back on all Purchases for the first 3 months¹ up to a total spend of $2,000. Plus, first year no Annual Fee¹ for the Primary and Additional Cardholders. Conditions apply. Must apply by May 30, 2021.
Earn 3% in Cash Back Dollars on eligible grocery Purchases and gas Purchases, and on regularly recurring bill payments set up on your Account
Earn 1% in Cash Back Dollars on all other Purchases made with your Card
- Annual Fee: $120 (Annual fee rebate for first year. Must apply by May 30, 2021)
- Minimum Income Eligibility: $60,000 personal or $100,000 household income
- Credit Score Required: Good to Excellent
About the TD Cash Back Visa Infinite* Card
The TD Cash Back Visa Infinite* Card is a cash back card that offers an excellent earn rate in top spending categories. Cardholders earn 3% in Cash Back Dollars on eligible grocery and gas purchases, and on regularly recurring bill payments set up on your account. All other card purchases earn at 1% cash back. Even better, getting your rewards is easy and accessible. You can apply your earning to your credit card bill whenever you want—there’s no need to wait until a certain date.
Best of all, the welcome bonus tempts by offering 6% cash back for the first three months on purchases (up to a total spend of $2,000) plus an annual fee rebate for the primary cardholder and an additional cardholder (a value of $170). Conditions apply, and you must apply by May 30, 2021, to take advantage of this fantastic limited-time offer that’s worth up to $290.
Rewards aside, the card also comes with valuable perks like a Deluxe TD Auto Club Membership (a $79 value, annually), which gives you access to emergency road services. It also includes some travel insurance, including travel medical up to $2 million in coverage.
TD Cash Back Visa Infinite* Card: At A Glance
Welcome Bonus: Earn 6% in Cash Back Dollars on all purchases for the first 3 months up to a total spend of $2,000 (Conditions apply. Must apply by May 30, 2021.) Income Eligibility Requirement: $60,000 personal or $100,000 household annual income
Annual Fee: $120 (Annual fee rebate for first year. Must apply by May 30, 2021) Recommended Credit Score: Good to excellent
Interest on Purchases: 20.99%| Interest on Cash Advances: 22.99% Rewards: Earn 3% cash back on groceries, gas, and recurring bill payments; all other purchases earn at 1%
*This offer is not available for residents of Quebec. For Quebec residents, please click here.
Card Features & Benefits
The selling feature of this card is that it allows you to earn cash back rewards on every single card purchase you make. Here’s how it works:
- Earn 3% cash back on groceries and gas—two of the most commonly used spending categories for everyday Canadians.
- Earn 3% cash back on regularly recurring bill payments like your telephone bill or your Netflix subscription.
- Earn 1% cash back on all other purchases made with your card.
The welcome bonus, available to those who sign up prior to May 30, 2021, is outstanding:
- Earn 6% cash back on all card purchases for the first three months (up to a total spend $2,000).
- Annual fee rebate for the first year for the primary cardholder (worth $120) and for one additional cardholder (worth $50).
The TD Cash Back Visa Infinite* Card doesn’t stop with its excellent earning potential. There are loads of other perks including:
- Travel insurance: including up to $2 million in coverage for travel medical insurance (trips of up to 10 days for those under 65), delayed/lost baggage insurance, emergency travel assistance services.
- Auto Rental Collision/Loss Damage Insurance: You get collision/loss damage coverage at no additional cost when you charge your rental to your card.
- Emergency road services: Deluxe TD Auto Club membership (valued at $79) is included at no charge, which gives you 24/7 coverage of Emergency Road Services. A handy thing to have in case something goes awry with your car when you’re on the road.
- Save on car rentals: Get a minimum of 10% off the lowest available base rates in Canada and the U.S. and a minimum of 5% off the lowest available base rates internationally at participating AVIS and Budget locations.
- Access to the Visa Infinite Concierge Service: Access to a concierge, “on-call” 24/7 to help with things like getting restaurant reservations or tickets to a performance.
- Access to the Visa Infinite Hotel Collection: Best available rates guaranteed on eligible hotels, as well as automatic room upgrade when available and free Wi-Fi.
- Access to the Visa Infinite Dining and Wine Country program: An exclusive benefit that offers cardholders a chance to dine with award-winning chefs and wine experts.
Pros and Cons
The TD Cash Back Visa Infinite* Card has a lot on offer. Groceries and gas are two major spending categories for Canadians and 3% is an above average earn rate. Kicking in regular recurring payments at the same rate is a nice touch. This card’s base rate of 1% back is respectable, and of course, the welcome bonus is very tempting. Perks like Deluxe TD Auto Club Membership and some included travel and auto insurance are good value adds.
Above all, the flexibility of the rewards program reigns supreme. It couldn’t be any easier to cash in your earnings: with a minimum of $25, you can redeem Cash Back Dollars against your account balance or however you want and any time you want. This gives you the ultimate freedom to use your earnings as you like and you’re not tied to any restrictive loyalty or points program.
While this card has a lot going for it, there are some weak spots, starting with the included travel insurance. While $2 million in travel medical coverage is respectable, it only applies for trips up to 10 days. The lost or delayed baggage protection is nice, but the card would be much stronger if it included flight delay, travel accident, or trip cancellation/interruption insurance.
The annual fee is also quite steep at $120, but new cardholders can take advantage of the first year annual fee rebate and pay $0 for the first year.
- Robust welcome offer — Earn 6% cash back on all purchases for the first 3 months (up to $2,000 in total card purchases). Offer ends May 30, 2021.
- Annual fee rebate for the first year ($120 value)
- Competitive cash back earn rate — Earn 3% cash back per dollar on gas, groceries and recurring payments, and 1% back on everything else.
- Includes Deluxe TD Auto Club Membership ($79 value)
- Includes travel insurance & Auto Rental Collision/Loss Damage insurance
- Flexible redemption — No expiry and redeem whenever you want.
- Does not include trip cancellation/interruption insurance
- Annual fee of $120 may be steep for some
- Travel insurance only applies for trips of up to 10 days
The TD Cash Back Visa Infinite* Card is a strong cash back card that acknowledges the spending categories that Canadians use most. Also enticing is the welcome offer of 6% cash back on all purchases for 3 months and first-year annual fee rebate (must apply by May 30, 2021), making this promo worth up to $290 and one of the best credit card offers in Canada. While it has decent perks like Deluxe TD Auto Club Membership, travel insurance, and Visa Infinite perks, it may not be good enough when it comes to insurance benefits, particularly for frequent travellers. If travel insurance is important to you, check out the best travel credit cards in Canada before making the final call.